Squeeze your eyes shut as hard as you can for as long as you can and then relax.
Some relaxation exercises here:
Follow The 20/20/20 Rule:
The 20/20/20 rule is a simple rule you can follow whenever you are working on a computer or reading a book. Every twenty minutes focus on an item twenty meters away for twentyseconds. This lets your eyes refocus and allows your ciliary muscle to relax for a few seconds. [Source]
- Rub your hands together until warm (approximately 15 to 30 seconds). Cup your hands and then place them over your closed eyes, ensuring to make sure your nose stays uncovered. Your fingers should overlap and rest gently on the center of your forehead.
- Make sure no light is able to enter your eyes, you may still see lingering traces of colors.
- After two or three minutes you should see nothing but blackness, remove your palms from your eyes. Repeat the above steps if necessary. [Source]
- Hold your thumb six inches (15 centimeters) from your nose.
- Use your eyes to focus on the tip of your thumb.
- Take one or two deep breaths and exhale slowly.
- Focus on any object approximately 10 feet (3 meters) away.
- Take another one or two deep breaths and slowly exhale.
- Repeat the above steps 10-20 times.
- Sit or stand at the end of a room.
- Use your eyes to scan around the edge of the objects in the room (monitor, desk, mouse, television, door etc).
- Remember to breathe.
- The object is to keep your eyes moving in a fluid motion.
- Do for two minutes and then repeat two or three times.
Hold The Pencil
- Hold a pencil arms length in front of you.
- Move your arm slowly towards your nose.
- Follow the tip of the pencil with your eyes until you can no longer keep it in focus.
- Repeat up to 10 times.
Up Down Eye Movements
- Face forwards.
- Without moving your head focus your eyes as high as they can go.
- Then slowly move your eye line down to as low as they can go, without moving your head.
- Repeat above 8-10 times.
- Do the same exercise, but instead of the up/down movement instead do a side to side movement.
Focus On Distance
- Focus on an object in the distance (more than150 feet or 50 meters away) for several seconds.
- Refocus your eyes on a closer object (within 30 feet or 10 meters away) for several seconds. It’s important that this closer object is in the same eyeline as the distance object.
- Then slowly focus again on the distance object.
- Repeat this 5 times.
Roll Your Eyes
- Sit down and relax.
- Roll your eyes clockwise and then counter clockwise.
- Repeat 5-10 times